« Home | A Couple More Things on Grandpa H » | Peter Drucker and the Megachurch » | Church & State, Faith & Politics » | Grandpa Was a Preacher Man » | Birdwatching » | The Lord taketh away, and the Lord giveth » | Scripture is Enough » | You win some; you lose some » | Potpourri for $400, Alex » | God at Work »

Veggie Poetry

Half Pint has a nightly reading assignment for school. A few days ago beets were part of the story. I don't remember why, but it's now become a running gag of sorts. She might be struggling with how to pronounce a word and looking for help. My kind, fatherly assistance? "Beets." She thinks I'm weird.

I don't think she's had beets since the Gerber days, so she doesn't know what they are. Nevertheless, the beet is part of the dreaded childhood foodgroup: vegetables. I think one of the laws of the Medes and the Persians was that kids are entitled not to like a food just because it's a vegetable. Now it's ingrained in the childhood DNA.

Vegetables were in her reading tonight - no beets, though. Peas were. Half Pint doesn't like peas either. I did. And my dad wrote a poem about it, to wit:


Peas, peas, little green peas
Sitting in my bowl.
They are so yummy tasting good
I like to eat them whole.

Peas, peas, little green peas
I eat them all the time.
I eat them with my fingers
But I really am sublime.

I never use a fork or spoon
Like older people do.
You see, the actual reason is
I'm not yet even two.

Peas, peas, little green peas
Sitting in my bowl.
They are so yummy tasting good
I like to eat them whole.
Now, tell me. After reading that, how could anyone not like peas?!?

Besides, it sure beats that "Pease porridge hot" downer of a poem.

Today's kids have Veggie Tales. I had Veggie Poetry.

Labels:

About me

  • Martin
  • From Orange, CA
  • Husband; Father; Son; Brother. Ruling elder at church. Loan Officer for Christian lending institution. Seminary student. I hope to be a pastor and plant a church in the near future.
My profile
What's Musings of a Bystander?
[ E-Mail Me ]
[ Sign My Guestbook ]