« Home | God at Work » | Ordinary Means Church Planting » | Three Principles » | Kyrka & Kirk » | Get a Good Burn Going » | Smite me » | New Tolkien Book » | Drucker and the Ancient Church » | Hello? Puritans calling » | Christianity Today and Calvinism »

Potpourri for $400, Alex

A mixture of several topics.
(Be sure to put your response in the form of a question.)
  1. What was Half Pint's seventh birthday? Several weeks ago, we asked her what she'd like to do for her birthday. She wanted to visit grandma and grandpa up in Visalia, so that's what we did this weekend. Besides grandparents, there were aunts, uncles and cousins. Pizza and ice cream cake were consumed. Pictures were taken. Presents were opened. Pretty standard fare - and pretty fun, too.
  2. What is 3 and 1? The Hamilton Bobcats varsity high school football record. This is Vikinglord's school. He's a sophomore on the team so he doesn't get to play much. But a couple games ago he saw a good bit of action on the punt and kickoff coverage teams, and made a few nice tackles. Hopefully I'll see him play this Friday.
  3. What is 4 and 1? The surprising record of the Washington Huskies. Woo-hoo! When I heard Coach Willingham say before the season began that their goal was a bowl game this year I thought: nice motivational tool, but really? Now it looks like a real probability. This week they play the Evil Empire (aka: Southern Cal). It would be so nice if they break the Trojans' Pac-10 winning streak.
  4. What is vocation? Calling. From God. What I've been reading a lot about and therefore been thinking a lot about, since that's part of what the class I'm taking this semester is about. We write reflection papers on our weekly reading assignment. This week I wrote about an article on death as a calling; and another paper interacting with a chapter in one of our books on how vocation can inform ethics. Very interesting and thought provoking.
  5. What was 1988? The last time the L.A. Dodgers won the World Series. This weekend they made the playoffs as a wild card, and this year's team bears some resemblance to the 1988 team. Both have a mixture of veterans and young guys; neither team is all that stocked with stars; yet both teams have that certain determination, comraderie and will to win that can take a team far in the postseason. I hope so!
  6. Who is "Hedman, Rev. A. W.?" My grandfather. That's how his name used to be listed in the phone book. My recent post about churches connected to my family history made me think of my grandparents, all four of whom were strong believers and had an influence on me and my faith. I think I'll write about them in turn. Look for a post about my Grandpa Hedman in the next few days.

And that's all for now.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • Martin
  • From Orange, CA
  • Husband; Father; Son; Brother. Ruling elder at church. Loan Officer for Christian lending institution. Seminary student. I hope to be a pastor and plant a church in the near future.
My profile
What's Musings of a Bystander?
[ E-Mail Me ]
[ Sign My Guestbook ]