« Home | Peter Drucker and the Megachurch » | Church & State, Faith & Politics » | Grandpa Was a Preacher Man » | Birdwatching » | The Lord taketh away, and the Lord giveth » | Scripture is Enough » | You win some; you lose some » | Potpourri for $400, Alex » | God at Work » | Ordinary Means Church Planting »

A Couple More Things on Grandpa H

One thing I forgot to mention about my Grandpa Hedman was his love of the Lord's Prayer. I don't think I realized it until I was in my late teens. The Lord's Prayer was "routine" for me; we recited it regularly in our worship. But Pentecostals don't put regular recitation of the Lord's Prayer in their worship - I think it was seen as all too Roman Catholic. Grandpa loved it though and in the latter years of his life was asked to lead public recitations of it, for example at my first wedding and other similar occasions. It was his example that motivated me to take the prayer more seriously and really think about what it meant and why, in our church, we said it regularly.

Secondly, the photo in which the man praying looks like my grandfather is copyrighted, but you can see it at this website.

Labels:

About me

  • Martin
  • From Orange, CA
  • Husband; Father; Son; Brother. Ruling elder at church. Loan Officer for Christian lending institution. Seminary student. I hope to be a pastor and plant a church in the near future.
My profile
What's Musings of a Bystander?
[ E-Mail Me ]
[ Sign My Guestbook ]