« Home | New Tolkien Book » | Drucker and the Ancient Church » | Hello? Puritans calling » | Christianity Today and Calvinism » | Miles to go... » | Jargon » | A Different Perspective » | The Lay of the Land » | Building Blocks » | Go Dawgs! »

Smite me

A friend of mine at work has a cartoon in his cubicle of a couple of Old Testament-type prophets sniggering behind the back of another prophet who has a sign taped, obviously surrepticiously, to his back: "Smite me!"

I was reminded of this cartoon by my sister's story of how our uncle bought a nice, big, new TV several years ago that promptly pooped out. His response? "God smote my TV."

We're living that reality in our house right now. One TV was 13 or 14 years old; the other 20. They've both bit the dust in the last month or so. Our TV's hath been smote with a great smiting.

KMR and I were talking the other day that this is probably a good thing, all in all. That is until I reminded her that our favorite show, CSI, premiers this week (tonight even - did Brass survive????), and we're missing Dancing with the Stars (KMR used to do ballroom dancing). And college football is in full swing, while the Dodgers are managing just enough swinging of the bat to still be in the pennant race.

(sigh)

Oh well. I'm still sure it is a good thing. We can't afford a new TV right now anyway, so we'll be doing other things, God willing more profitable things. And the Dodgers are on the radio. And I hear there's a good radio broadcast of the Huskies via the Internet.

About me

  • Martin
  • From Orange, CA
  • Husband; Father; Son; Brother. Ruling elder at church. Loan Officer for Christian lending institution. Seminary student. I hope to be a pastor and plant a church in the near future.
My profile
What's Musings of a Bystander?
[ E-Mail Me ]
[ Sign My Guestbook ]