« Home | Miles to go... » | Jargon » | A Different Perspective » | The Lay of the Land » | Building Blocks » | Go Dawgs! » | Multicultural » | This just about sums things up » | Musings of a Bystander? »

Christianity Today and Calvinism

I picked up the current issue of Christianity Today the other day, having heard (first I think through Ref21) about their cover article on the resurgence of Calvinism.

It was a nice, encouraging article.

I grew up mostly in the old UPC, in a conservative congregation. I knew about and believed in such doctrines as predestination and election, and remember hearing about TULIP. But we weren't taught, nor was there an emphasis on, "Reformed theology." It wasn't until I heard a sermon in my late 20's by Mike Horton that I really "got" Reformed theology - and boy did I get it. All the things I'd been taught and believed suddenly fit together and made sense.

The CT article seemed to focus more on the resurgence of Calvinism in Baptist circles. I suppose that makes sense, since there are so many of them. But I believe the rise of Calvinism really owes a great debt to men like R.C. Sproul, James Boice and others of that generation who began writing books and holding conferences on Reformed theology, and through whose teaching the Holy Spirit has brought about a re-awakening in Presbyterian and Reformed circles. As influential as men like John Piper and Mike Horton are, I'm not sure they'd even be around if the groundwork hadn't been laid before them.

I've seen this rise in my own lifetime, and it is absolutely wonderful to see.

Not long after the death of James Boice, my mother and I were wondering who the next generation of leaders and teachers would be in Reformed circles. Praise God that He has raised up another generation of men. I am so thankful.

I'm thankful also that this new generation has a spirit of humility and cooperation, evidenced by the Together for the Gospel conference and organizations like the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals. The sentiment expressed by Joshua Harris at the end of the article is one I share deeply. If we really believe in the sovereignty of God, and of our own inability, how can we possibly be arrogant? And yet that seems to have been a besetting sin in Calvinist circles. Again, I am thankful that it doesn't seem to be among the younger generation, and I pray it continues.

Labels:

About me

  • Martin
  • From Orange, CA
  • Husband; Father; Son; Brother. Ruling elder at church. Loan Officer for Christian lending institution. Seminary student. I hope to be a pastor and plant a church in the near future.
My profile
What's Musings of a Bystander?
[ E-Mail Me ]
[ Sign My Guestbook ]