« Home | Get a Good Burn Going » | Smite me » | New Tolkien Book » | Drucker and the Ancient Church » | Hello? Puritans calling » | Christianity Today and Calvinism » | Miles to go... » | Jargon » | A Different Perspective » | The Lay of the Land »

Kyrka & Kirk

My dad sent me an e-mail with updated family history information in it - we're hoping for a big family reunion next summer. It reminded me of some other research I've done where I've come across links to actual places my ancestors lived. One of the things that I enjoy about learning my family history is how it so often connects with "real" history. But the following is more along the line of fun connections.

First are some pictures from Sweden. My great-grandfather (direct paternal line) came to America from the region called Bohuslan. From the records that I have, most of my relatives were baptized and married in this church, Krokstad parish:





However, when my great-grandfather came to America he changed his last name from Svensson to Hedman. He wanted something that sounded more American. When I asked my grandfather about this once he said the name his dad picked had something to do with where the family is from. Nearby Krokstad is the town/parish of Hede, which could be where the name came from. So it's possible many ancestors went to this church:





I love the older pictures of both.

Speaking of old...on my mom's side we're connected to the Birnie family, a branch that left Scotland and settled in Holland. Though remembering their Scottish heritage they also thought of themselves as Dutch, or Dutch-Indonesian. The name Birnie is associated with a now disappeared, small castle in Scotland, and also the Birnie kirk, one of the oldest continually functioning churches in Scotland.



My dad is Scandinavian (or as we like to put it: Viking-American); my mom is more Scottish than anything (probably). There's a link on the right to Highland Theological College, where I'd like to someday do doctoral work. HTC is not too far from Birnie kirk, just north of Inverness in the town of Dingwall, aka the Viking Capital of Scotland.

How appropriate!

Labels: ,

Hi Martin,read your text about your ancestors origin. I myself is born and raised in Krokstad parish. Maybe your great grandfathers choise of name also could be related to the village Hedekas or the farm Hede, both within Krokstad parish.

Post a Comment

About me

  • Martin
  • From Orange, CA
  • Husband; Father; Son; Brother. Ruling elder at church. Loan Officer for Christian lending institution. Seminary student. I hope to be a pastor and plant a church in the near future.
My profile
What's Musings of a Bystander?
[ E-Mail Me ]
[ Sign My Guestbook ]