« Home | A Different Perspective » | The Lay of the Land » | Building Blocks » | Go Dawgs! » | Multicultural » | This just about sums things up » | Musings of a Bystander? »

Jargon

Recently I decided that if church planting is in my future, and if seminary graduation is around the corner (possibly, possibly, in May), then I should start preparing for it. So, I've been visiting web sites, looking up books and articles, trying to find resources related to planting a church. I figure that if I can whittle away little by little at the pile of stuff I've found I just might learn something over the next several months or so. And it'll have to be done little by little since I'll have my regular classes to focus on in the meantime as well.

One of the things that struck me while reading through some materials at lunch today was the prevalence of certain words and phrases that, quite frankly, strike me as so much jargon. Some of them -- "missional," "ancient-modern," "culturally relevant," "inter-generational," "cross cultural," etc. -- are probably useful in certain contexts at certain times, if well defined and understood.

But this kind of jargon seems to me to be too clever by half. One of the Druckerisms* that has stuck with me is, "It's better to be conscientious than clever." The point? Clever schemes tend to hold the promise of achieving something without the typical hard work of just slogging through what needs to be done. The conscientious person knows or finds out what needs to be done and does it. The clever person looks for the easier path, the whiz-bang solution. (This is how consultants make their money - packaging common sense in flash and sizzle!)

That doesn't mean that there can never be a better way to build a mousetrap. It just has to really, truly be a better way.

The work of the pastor, elder, deacon, lay person in Christ's church is to diligently do the things God has called us to do. We can try new things, to be sure. But we shouldn't let the false promise of a shiny new toy distract us from the hard slogging that is often what's needed. Being conscientious isn't flashy, doesn't typically attract a lot of attention, and probably isn't cutting edge, but in the end I think it is more effective.

Sometimes this church planting jargon seems awfully like a shiny new toy and I wonder: why can't we just do what we've been called to do?

* Anyone who took classes from, sat in on lectures with, spent time with or read books and articles by Peter Drucker collects a few of his oft-repeated sayings along the way.

Labels: ,

I agree. I find the jargon really tiresome sometimes. It's almost as if some churches (or "ministries") will do anything except simply preaching the word. I feel much more secure in an environment like that and, suprisingly, less bored.

You're so right about being less bored. I think most people have a built-in jargon detector and tune out when they hear it.

Post a Comment

About me

  • Martin
  • From Orange, CA
  • Husband; Father; Son; Brother. Ruling elder at church. Loan Officer for Christian lending institution. Seminary student. I hope to be a pastor and plant a church in the near future.
My profile
What's Musings of a Bystander?
[ E-Mail Me ]
[ Sign My Guestbook ]