« Home | What is faith? » | Louisiana Presbytery Decision on Steve Wilkins » | God's Grace » | Trees, Comets and Tidepools » | God Helps Those Who Help Themselves?? » | PCA and Steve Wilkins Update » | Holiday Spirits » | Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes » | Mary Did You Know....? » | Christmas Carol »

Ancient Hymns

I was in a local bookstore the other day looking to pick up a couple books I need for seminary this semester. Didn't find them, but the store also has a pretty good section of used books, where I found something titled, Earliest Christian Hymns.

Since I love hymns (I have a collection of hymnbooks) and early church history I bought the book.

It starts out with examples of hymns or poetic texts from the New Testament, and then has chapters on everything from Gnostic hymns (ugh!) to early hymns from the Greek and Latin fathers.

Here's a nice, simple hymn by Prudentius:

The clouds, the shadows, and the night
Long held in gloom both earth and sky,
Light enters, and the heavens grow bright,
Christ comes, and lo, the shadows fly.

The blinding fog is pierced amain,
By shining arrows of the sun,
Earth's golden rays return again,
The glory of the morn is won.

The light is thine, O Christ! we see
Thy glory in the open day;
With tears and songs we come to thee;
Lift up and guide our souls, we pray.

Cleanse us from stain of sinful pride,
And warm us in thy living light;
Thou art our heavenly lamp, our guide;
Shine in thy sweetness, clear and bright.

To God the Father, glory be,
And equal glory to the Son,
The same, O Paraclete, to thee,
Forever reigning, three in one.

Labels: ,

About me

  • Martin
  • From Orange, CA
  • Husband; Father; Son; Brother. Ruling elder at church. Loan Officer for Christian lending institution. Seminary student. I hope to be a pastor and plant a church in the near future.
My profile
What's Musings of a Bystander?
[ E-Mail Me ]
[ Sign My Guestbook ]