« Home | Strategic Hoping » | Right With God by Grace Through Faith » | Grandma Was A Lady » | 95 Theses for Today » | Lining Out the Psalms » | He's Alive! » | The Wave Turns 25 Years Old » | De-motivation » | Justification - So What? » | The Return of Ferd Berfer »

Election Reflection

I will probably seldom post about politics here. Not that I don't follow politics or have an opinion. I follow quite closely and am pretty conservative in my opinions. Rather, it is that I don't see the purpose of this blog as being political. There are tons of good sites that cover politics, much more ably than I ever could.

I've read a number of columns by people on both the left and right of the political spectrum since Tuesday's smackdown of the Republicans in Congress. One column has stayed with me: Chuck Colson's "Why Conservatives Lost."

His reason? Because they deserved to: "They failed to live up to the high standards of personal behavior they preach about. And that's what brought them down."

I think he's got a good point in general about the election. And I think there's a lesson or two there for those of us Christians who also are more conservative in our politics.

One lesson is the danger for Christians in linking themselves too closely to a political movement or party. There can be an all too seductive temptation to overlook moral weaknesses for the sake of political gain. Where were the Christian conservatives, especially those members of Congress, when moral shenanigans were going on? Christians of whatever political party ought to be willing to be the moral conscience of that party.

Another lesson is that politics ultimately isn't the answer. That's a hard lesson for those of us, me included, who love to follow politics. Rather, God is sovereign, even in elections that don't make sense to the religious right. It is God who both governs the affairs of men and changes the hearts of men. When "the people spoke" and swept the Democratic party into power in both houses of Congress, ultimately it was God speaking, for it is ultimately He who sets leaders in power to govern. What was He saying or doing?

I don't know. Who can know the mind of God? Who is His counselor? Not me.

One of the things I try to teach myself and to others in Bible studies is that when you come across a difficult question or passage in the Bible, go back to what you know. Build from there.

What kinds of things do we know in this situation? God is sovereign. Political rulers are in that position by God's sovereign rule. God works all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. It is the Gospel that is the power of God to salvation.

Ultimately, what will make a difference in our society? Political victory? I don't think so. But the Gospel will. If Christians will speak the Gospel and all of biblical truth to society then, maybe then, God will change our society for the better. It's how He promises to work. And it allows believers to speak the same truth to all political parties, calling them to repentance, faith and obedience.

I'm politically conservative because I believe that most closely matches biblical truth (see Colson's second paragraph for an excellent summary). But first and foremost I am a Christian, and the way I see it neither Democrats nor Republicans have behaved very consistently with Christian values lately.

Labels:

You said what I've been thinking way better than I ever could.

You're too kind. Hope to see you and Alicia soon!

Post a Comment

About me

  • Martin
  • From Orange, CA
  • Husband; Father; Son; Brother. Ruling elder at church. Loan Officer for Christian lending institution. Seminary student. I hope to be a pastor and plant a church in the near future.
My profile
What's Musings of a Bystander?
[ E-Mail Me ]
[ Sign My Guestbook ]